I’m on a mission to convert ho-hum copy into gung-ho copy. Will you help?
It’s impossible to get excited about these missives clogging my email box: (These are the subject lines verbatim – promise!)
- “Come to Health Care 101 and learn about new changes affecting you.”
- “Your October Newsletter is here!”
- “Book Signing.” Really? When? Where? Why would I want to go?
Red hot copy motivates readers to beat a path to your door; it makes prospects stop in their tracks and rearrange their schedule to attend, and it converts prospects into buyers quickly. Is your copy doing that?
If not, it’s time to buy a verb! In fact, it’s time to buy action-oriented, jam-packed, image-rich verbs that propel your message forward.
Look at these recent headlines and you’ll see what I mean:
- Chargers Jettison the Jets in a Shut Out
- Starbucks Brews Up New Products
- Coke Sales Lose Its Fizz
See the pattern?
6 Sizzling Secrets to Pump Up Your Copy Today!
- Start using appropriate brand vocabulary and metaphors to snatch attention.
- Harness words and phrases that are specific to your brand DNA
- Seek out high imagery words
- Find high energy words
- Divorce common words from its clichéd partner (ex: first and foremost or last, but not least). Ugh!
- Learn from the masters – Yes! I rewrite copy all of the time and even have a verb shopping list for my clients. But, I also adore Richard Lederer and his Verbivore blogs.
Let me know your thoughts below. To your sizzling success!
Image courtesy of Africa at FreeDigitalPhotos.net